SAUSAGE, PEPPER AND RICE SKILLET
Smoky kielbasa sizzled with sweet bell pepper, onions and garlic in vibrant tomato sauce. This quick and easy sausage, pepper and rice skillet is downright delicious!
- 1 1/4 c. white rice
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) package smoked sausage
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small white onion, quartered and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- In a small saucepan, cook rice according to the package’s directions.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high. Once the skillet is hot, add the oil. After the oil shimmers, add the sausage and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the peppers and onion, saute for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside with the sausage.
- Add the tomato paste and about 3/4 cup of chicken broth, whisk to combine. Allow the mixture to simmer for 1 minute, then add the paprika and cayenne.
- Stir in the cooked rice, sausage, remaining chicken broth, pepper and onions until combined. Garnish with chopped parsley, serve immediately.
-For an “Italian” version, use Italian sausage + 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
-For a “Cajun” version, use andouille sausage + 1/2 tsp. cajun seasoning