LOW CARB CHICKEN FAJITA SOUP
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup chicken broth this is to pour over chicken in slow cooker
1 onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
1 tablespoon of butter
6 oz cream cheese
2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilis
2½ cups chicken broth
½ cup heavy whipping cream
2 1/2 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning recipe here or 1 packet of taco seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook boneless skinless chicken breasts in a slow cooker for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low in a cup of chicken broth. Season with salt/pepper.
- When chicken is cooked through, remove from slow cooker and shred. (You can strain the leftover broth for the soup.)
- In a large saucepan saute green pepper, onion, and garlic in 1 tablespoon of butter until they are translucent.
- With a spoon mash the cream cheese into the veggies so that it will combine smoothly as it melts.
- Add the canned tomatoes, chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, and taco seasoning.
- Simmer on low uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Top each bowl with shredded cheese, cilantro, and/or sour cream.